Fonds F147 - Norman MacKenzie Art Gallery Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Norman MacKenzie Art Gallery Fonds

General material designation

  • graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA URASC F147

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1937 (Creation)
    Creator
    Norman MacKenzie Art Gallery

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1953-)

Administrative history

The MacKenzie receives its name from Norman MacKenzie, a Regina-based lawyer who had a passion for art. MacKenzie had a vision for an encyclopedic museum in the standard colonial model of that era, acquiring historical works from Europe and cultural artifacts from across the world. When he passed away in 1936, he bequeathed his collection to the Regina Campus of the University of Saskatchewan (now the University of Regina), which led to the opening of the Norman MacKenzie Art Gallery in 1953.

In its early years, the MacKenzie had an intimate connection to the Fine Arts program at the University, including the Emma Lake Artists’ Workshops. The Gallery quickly became a hub for the avant-garde and a driving force in sharing the stories of Saskatchewan through its collections, exhibitions, and programs. The Gallery’s first director was Ronald Bloore, who later became a founding member of the Regina Five and an influential figure in Saskatchewan’s artistic landscape. The MacKenzie became independent from the University in 1990 when it moved to its current site in the T.C. Douglas Building. It continues to have a close relationship with the University of Regina through the care of its collection, cross-appointments, work studies, and other ongoing partnerships.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

    Script of material

      Location of originals

      Availability of other formats

      Restrictions on access

      Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

      Finding aids

      Associated materials

      Related materials

      Accruals

      Alternative identifier(s)

      Standard number

      Standard number

      Access points

      Subject access points

      Place access points

      Name access points

      Genre access points

      Control area

      Description record identifier

      Institution identifier

      URASC

      Rules or conventions

      RAD

      Status

      Draft

      Level of detail

      Minimal

      Dates of creation, revision and deletion

      Language of description

        Script of description

          Sources

          Accession area